What is A Slogan: Types, Examples & Tips to Create One
Any organization's slogan is an essential part of marketing and branding. Thus, it should be as catchy as it can. A slogan can actually make or break the deal. If someone likes an organization's funny or catchy slogan, then the probability of choosing that specific organization's product or service is relatively high. The reason being slogans help people to remember your Company Name, Brand Logo, and its products.
In today's blog, let's discuss what is a slogan, its types, examples, and a few tips that will help you create an effective slogan poster. In addition to that, we'll also cover the difference between slogans or quotes and taglines. So, here it goes:
Table of Content
What is a Slogan?
A slogan is known to be a catchy and short phrase that is used to create an appeal to your target audience and take their attention. Also, there's a psychological reason behind a slogan being concise; it takes only seven seconds to grab someone's attention and make an impression. As they say, the short-term memory of people is actually very short. So, your slogan has to be concise.
Apart from being concise, a slogan must also be memorable. Since people are always in a hurry, your slogan should be attractive and catchy so that people can quickly memorize it. For example, your slogan could be rhythmic rhyme, humor, or a recommendation for something.
Also, your slogan should persist in the quality of lasting long and survive for at least some time. You'll find a few slogans that are catchy but not good enough. Some of the examples of disastrous slogans that have been used in the past are as follows:
- "Come on our girls"- FIFA World Cup, 2015
- "Good Luck"- Uzbek Airlines
You also must have come across these types of disastrous slogans. What was your reaction? Yes, we feel you!
All in all, a slogan should be appealing enough to influence people. Think of a slogan as an invitation to your prospects, so they buy your offers. Here, the offer term is the product and service of your organization that is beneficial for your customers.
What is a Tagline & How are they Different from Slogans?
As discussed above, a slogan is a catchy phrase that can attract your customers' attention. Therefore, a Slogan is one of the essential parts of any organization's marketing strategy. The primary purpose of any slogan is to convince people in order to make them buy your products. If your company offers more than one product or service, you'll have to create more slogans.
Whereas, when it comes to a tagline, it actually doesn't refer to any particular product or service. A tagline is used for the whole company or brand, irrespective of the organization's product or service. The tagline of any organization is always permanent.
For example, Nike, one of the leading sports-wearing brands, uses two phrases, and they are:
- There's no finish line: It is a Tagline
- Just do it: This one is a Slogan
What is a Motto: Meaning with Examples
Again, the slogan is a catchy expression used for the organization's marketing campaign to grab people's attention. The purpose of a slogan is to appeal so that your customers will buy your products or services.
On the other hand, a motto represents the organization's core values and beliefs that it follows as a brand. A motto compromises ethics and ideas that reflect the behavior of a particular group as a whole. For example, countries, cities, institutions, and brands have a specific motto that shows their behavior and core beliefs.
In order to make it more clear, let's take the example of Nebraska, which has its slogan, "Equality before the law," whereas Apple has its slogan, "Think different."
Different Types of Slogans
In marketing, a slogan is a short, catchy phrase used to advertise a product or service. Some slogans become so well known that they are adopted by the general public as a word or phrases with meaning outside of their commercial context. There are many types of slogans. Some are written to attract attention; others are written to emphasize a product's main benefit. Still, others are written to help consumers understand the product, the company, or an important point in both. Following are the different types of slogans, along with their examples:
The main focus of an advertising slogan is, instead of showing the full image of your brand, to give prominence to the marketing campaign of your product or service.
The main objective of an advertising slogan is to create a relationship between the company's product and the customer's experience after using the product. Go through the following examples to understand how an advertising slogan can create a bridge between the customer's experience and the company's product.
- 'The Power of Dreams'- Honda
- 'Fresh and Juicy'- Frooti
- 'Open Happiness'- CocaCola
The purpose of a business slogan is to present the definite and precise values of your company and to show where it actually stands. It could be beauty, trust, revolution, perfection, etc. A business slogan is only informative and highlights the entire business. For example:
- 'Love your Curves'- Zara
- 'Always Camera Ready'- Pantene
- 'Dollar Shave club'- Shave Time
As the name suggests, a descriptive slogan implies what your business actually does. You can also present your descriptive slogan in design form. If you really want to highlight your brand from your competitors, then going for this type could be the right fit.
Also, a descriptive slogan is useful if you don't want to take names but still discuss them. However, your slogan has to be short, crispy, and precise. Descriptive slogans should not be generic or boring. Let's look at a few examples:
- 'Save Money'- Walmart
- 'We will sell no wine before it's Time- Paul Masson
- 'A glass and a half in every half-pound- Dairy Milk
A persuasive slogan helps convince people that they should buy your products or services. If you're thinking of going for a persuasive slogan, it's crucial to make a good one. Tell them the uniqueness of your brand and why it is worthy and reliable. Here's a list of a few examples:
- 'Have it your way'- Burger King
- 'Have a break, have a kitkat'- Kit-Kat
- 'Because you're worth it- L'oreal
A creative slogan is used as a reminder to increase your customers' response. Companies usually go for creative slogans to raise their standard. That means you'll have to think out of the box. It might sound more accessible to a few people, but it is actually not. With creative slogans, you don't have to stress whether your target audience will understand them or not.
- 'Tide's In, Dirt's out'- Tide
- 'Tastes so good, cats ask for it by its name'- Meow Mix/
- 'Maybe she's born with it; maybe it's Maybelline'- Maybelline
An emotive slogan's primary purpose is to connect with your audience emotionally. But creating an emotional slogan requires psychological research in order to back it up. They're not just selling products but much more than that. Let's take a look at some of the examples:
- 'Design for driving pleasure'- BMW
- 'Where dreams come true- Disneyland
- 'A diamond is forever'- DeBeers
30 Companies with Famous Brand Slogans & Taglines
Catchy slogans and taglines are often used in advertising and marketing campaigns to sell products and services. Some well-known examples include "Just Do It" (Nike), "Think Different" (Apple), and "The Ultimate Driving Machine" (BMW). While a catchy slogan or tagline can be helpful in getting attention and creating interest, it is important to make sure that the rest of the advertising campaign lives up to the promise of the slogan or tagline. Otherwise, customers may feel misled or disappointed, which can damage the brand. Discover the bodacious slogans and taglines from some of the world's famous brands, and find out what makes them great and popular.
- Nike - "Just Do It"
- McDonald's - "I'm Lovin' It"
- Coca-Cola - "Open Happiness: Taste the Feeling"
- KFC - "Finger-Lickin' Good"
- Subway - "Eat Fresh"
- Adidas - "Impossible is Nothing"
- Apple - "Think Different"
- Samsung - "Imagine"
- Mercedes-Benz - "The Best or Nothing"
- Louis Vuitton - "Luxury is Timeless"
- Bounty- "The Quicker Picker Upper"
- L'Oréal: "Because You're Worth It"
- Pepsi: "Live for Now"
- Volkswagen – "Think Small"
- Gillette – “The Best a Man Can Get”
- Nescafe – “It All Starts with a Nescafe”
- Sony – “Make. Believe”
- Dove – “Real Beauty”
- Volkswagen – “Drivers Wanted”
- Reebok – “I Am What I Am”
- Calvin Klein – “Between Love and Madness Lies Calvin Klein”
- American Express – “Don’t Leave Home Without It”
- Maybelline – “Maybe she’s born with it. Maybe it’s Maybelline.”
- Chanel – “The Most Trusted Name in Luxury”
- Hollister: “Live with Freedom”
- Gap: “Fall into the Gap”
- M&Ms: “Melts in Your Mouth, Not in Your Hands”
- Audi: “Truth in Engineering”
- Old Spice: “The Man Your Man Could Smell Like”
- Abercrombie & Fitch: “Casual Luxury”
How to create a Slogan with Appy Pie's AI Slogan Maker?
Slogans are words or phrases used to quickly and effectively communicate the value of your product or business. The best slogan conveys your brand’s essence and also leaves a lasting impression in the minds of your customers. With Appy Pie’s AI Slogan Maker, you can easily create an effective slogan for your brand by following these 3 simple steps:
Choose Your Type of Slogan: There are several types of slogan templates, and you need to choose which one you want.
Edit the content: Adjust the font, color, and size of the text using our easy to use slider controls. You can add your own text to it or edit it to create your own slogan. For image color adjustment and picking a specific color from an image, you can use Appy Pie's Image Color Picker as well.
Download your work: Every business needs a slogan to help it stand out from the crowd. Your slogan is the first thing people will notice about your business so make sure it represents you, your brand, and what you do. Give it some thought because you'll be using it for a long time. Download your Slogan Poster or Slogan Design to share it with the world.
After going through the blog, you must've realized that a slogan is an integral part of any brand. However, if you follow the tips and ideas mentioned above in the blog, you'll be able to create a good and catchy slogan.
Get your Custom Slogan in less than 5 minutes! Appy Pie's Slogan Maker is one of the most powerful and easy-to-use slogan makers in the market that allows you to create a catchy slogan for a business, event, product, or anything else. You can create a Slogan or create a Logo that is funny, inspiring, cool, or cute!
- How to Write a Mission and Vision Statement With 40 Examples
- A Concise Introduction to Big Data and Big Data Analytics
- How to Build a Lead Generation Funnel in 2024
- Customer Service Objectives: Definition and Key Elements of Good Customer Service
- What is a CRM Workflow? Benefits of CRM Workflow for Your Business Growth
- Flower Background: Power of Floral Backgrounds Across Creative Disciplines
- Klaviyo vs. Mailchimp: A comparison| [Top Mailchimp integrations & Klaviyo integrations]
- Top 10 Coding Websites For Developers
- How to Increase Customer Engagement with Chatbots?
- Which Is The Best Language For Mobile App Development?