(10 Step Guide) How to Make an App in 2022
Last Updated on September 23, 2022
This step-by-step guide will help you create a mobile app for Android and iOS in minutes using Appy Pie’s intuitive drag-and-drop builder
Apps are becoming a part of daily life, with most popular brands having their own mobile app to interact with customers and raise brand awareness.
With the ever-increasing use of smartphones for consumerism, every business could use an app to help boost sales, market its products and improve its brand reputation. Using an app could soon be a normal part of the customer journey and crucial to finalise a sale. If having your own mobile app is what it takes to compete – how is it done?
App development can be time consuming, labour intensive and incredibly expensive – but it doesn’t have to be! Anyone can build an app using Appy Pie’s App Maker. Whether you want to showcase your brand, interact with your community or sell a product, Appy Pie makes app development easy. Save time, money and effort with Appy Pie App Maker.
How to build an app for Android and iOS mobile devices?
Follow these steps to create your own app:
Questions you must answer before you start building your app
- Do you need an app?
- Which platform would you cater to?
- How to create an iPhone app?
- How to create an Android app for mobile phones?
- Who are your competitors?
- What is your business model?
- Do you know your customers?
- Have you allocated a budget?
- How will you market your app?
A mobile app can benefit any business, true. But, do you need an app at this stage? Does it serve your business goals? Think whether an investment in a mobile app at this stage in your business is justified. The time and place play a big role in this decision. The idea is to spend some time weighing in on both sides of the debate.
The BIG question – iOS or Android. Ideally, you should make an app for both. But, there are budget and time constraints and sometimes you have to make a choice. There are a number of factors that go into making this decision. First, figure out where your audience is. Do some research and find out which platform they prefer and build your app first for that platform.
Before making that decision, there are a couple of related questions you should know the answers to. So let’s get going.
If you want to create an iOS app from scratch, the most common programming language is Objective C which can be a little complicated and clunky for a tech novice. Hence, Apple has developed a universal language that is easier to understand for non-programmers. The language Swift can be used for all of its systems and devices. However, it is even easier to create an iOS app using the no-code app builder from Appy Pie. You don’t need to learn any programming language, wait for weeks or months, or spend a fortune to create an iPhone app from scratch.
There are numerous programming languages that can be used to create Android apps from scratch, like Java, Kotlin (Android Studio), C and C++ (with patches), and C# in Xamarin. However, if you want to create an Android app without learning any of these languages, Appy Pie’s Android app builder is the perfect choice for you. It is easy to use, quick, and affordable.
Before moving on to the actual app development process, it is prudent to do some research on who your customers are. When you study your competitors you learn about what your app should look like and what it shouldn’t. Take this research and learn from others’ mistakes.
Making an app just for kicks is OK, but when you are making an app for your business, you need to figure out how you are going to make money from your app. A sound business model will not only help you recover the investment you made in the mobile app but also bring in some revenue to keep your operations running.
Conduct thorough market research with a strong focus on the target customers. Understand their problems and brainstorm appropriate solutions through your mobile app. Learn everything you can about them right from their preferred social media, challenges, aspirations, buying behaviors, and more.
Everything requires an investment and you definitely need to work on defining a budget for your app development project. The cost of making an app depends on a number of factors. First, how you want to make an app – through an agency, by hiring an in-house team, or build it yourself using Appy Pie’s DIY app builder. Second, what kind of features does your app need to have, and finally what kind of marketing efforts you want to invest in.
Just because your app is awesome, people are not going to beeline to the app stores and download it. They have to first be made aware of your app, your products and services, and then pulled in and convinced to download your app. How would you do this? Marketing. Have a tentative marketing plan in place before you start working on your app development.
Now that you have answered these questions, you are ready to take the plunge and start building your app. Explore your options because there are some solid options like Appy Pie where you can build your app for free!
As you go further down this post you would see detailed processes with video tutorials that will help you through the entire process of app development.
Make your own app with Appy Pie App Maker
How to create an app? This is a question that most small businesses are struggling with today. The answer lies with Appy Pie’s app creator software. Creating an app with Appy Pie app making software is quick and easy. This means you do not have to gain any special expertise or invest hours of your precious time here.
Appy Pie is a leading no-code app development platform that has a wide range of features including store, food court, image, video, audio, form builder, and many others, using which users without any technical knowledge can create highly advanced mobile apps for Android and iOS in minutes. Some of the benefits of using Appy Pie App Maker for app development includes fast and native apps, offline capabilities, real time updates, app store submission and much more.
What sets Appy Pie’s app development platform apart is their top-quality customer service and cost-effective app plans. Choosing no-code Appy Pie app development tool as your mobile partner will prove to be beneficial in taking your small business to the next level.
Once you are on the website, the process of app development is fairly simple. The first step is to enter your business name which will also be the name of your app. Next, select the category your app best fits in and then pick a color scheme. In general, it is a good idea to align it with the colors of your brand/ your website or your logo if you already have one.
Choose the device platform where you want to test your app. Your choice of device should be based on the preferences of your customers instead of yours.
Once you have created your app, you can install it on your device and take it for a test run! Come back and edit your app to your liking, add the right features and make it look exactly the way you want. That’s it, this is the answer to your question – how to build an app!
We have covered the basics of how to make an app with Appy Pie App Maker, but it is important that you dig deeper and understand the finer details.
The process of creating an app can be divided into 10 parts. Let’s take a look.
Step 1: Choose your app name
The name of the app is how your app users will perceive you and your business. If you already have a flourishing business, it is advisable to continue with the same or similar name so that your existing customers can easily find you and can place their trust in your app. however, if you are only starting out, you have the freedom to choose any name you like. A few things that may help you find the right name for your app include:
- The name should reflect the brand image you have in mind
- The name of the app should be unique but easy to remember and pronounce
- Your app should be named keeping your customers and their personalities in mind
- Steer clear of jargons and clearly communicate the value of the app
- The app name should have a global appeal, even if you are only serving locally (yet)
Coming up with the perfect name for your app can prove to be a bit of a challenge. Some time ago, I wrote this helpful article that lists out some great tips for naming your app and talks about its significance in the larger scheme of things.
Step 2: Select a color scheme
Once you have decided the name of your app and chosen the appropriate business category that your app belongs to, you are another step closer to answering your question – how to build an app. Now, it is time to decide which color scheme would be perfect for your app. We first consume with our eyes, hence the color scheme that you choose for your mobile app is of great significance. At Appy Pie AppMaker we have six attractive design schemes that can make your app look like a million dollars. Choose a color scheme from Deep Ocean, Go Green, Cheerful Cherry, Dynamic Sunburst, Carbon Mystique, and Techno Grey.
Your choice of color scheme depends on multiple things the foremost is the brand image that you want to build. Let’s list out all the factors that you must keep in mind while choosing the right color scheme for your app.
- Brand image, brand colors (if it is already in place)
- Product line or any USPs
- Target market and your client persona
Step 3: Customize your app design
The way your app looks is very important, and you have to think of more than just choosing the right color scheme. The question now is – how to build an app that looks great! The next step in creating your app using Appy Pie AppMaker is to customize the look and feel of your app to make it truly unique. In the design customization section, you can experiment with different aspects of aesthetics that make your app what it is. Let’s discuss each of these aspects in detail.
- App Icon, background and splash screen
- App layout
- Fonts & colors
One of the biggest advantages of creating an app is that you get to put yourself on the screen of your target customers. Your app icon is what they will see every time they look at their screen. If you have a logo for your company, you can use it as an app icon and if you don’t have one, it is time to create your own logo with the logo maker from Appy Pie Design! The background you choose for your app is important, you can choose a block color, images from Appy Pie, or simply upload one of your own!
Last, but not the least – the app splash screen. This is the screen that comes up as soon as the app is launched. This is the introduction your app users get, to your app. The platform has some great options for you to choose from. However, for an app that is truly yours, you can head to Appy Pie Design and create the perfect graphic for your app.
The layout of your app essentially means the way all the elements in your app are laid out. This is more than just aesthetic. The way things are organized has a great impact on the way your app will be used by your customers or users. There are multiple ready-made layouts available in the design customization section where you can choose the layout that you believe will be perfect for your app and for your target audience.
Your mobile app needs to communicate your offerings clearly to the app users. What you write is important, but how you write it and how it looks is important too! In this section, you can decide the colors for each section of your page, like the header, the layout, and the page. The colors and the fonts that you choose for your app define the readability of the content that you place on your app. While choosing the colors and fonts, you must make sure that everything is easily consumable (readable) for the app user.
Step 4: Choose the right test device
It is quite natural to wonder how to build an app look good on the device of your choice and what it would look like to your app users. This is one of the most exciting parts of the process where you get to see the result of all your efforts. With the help of the QR Code or the link, you will be able to install the app on a device of your choice. Once you have the app ready on your phone, you would be able to see what your app would look like, to your app users.
Step 5: Install the app on your device
As you are learning how to build an app, it is natural that you would want to see how your app looks on an actual device. This is one of the most exciting parts of the process where you get to see the result of all your efforts. With the help of the QR Code or the link, you will be able to install the app on a device of your choice. Once you have the app ready on your phone, you would be able to see what your app would look like, to your app users.
Step 6: Add the features you want (Key Section)
Now that you know the basic process of how to build an app, let us dig deeper and discuss the most prominent and popular features on the platform.
The right question to ask at this point in time becomes – how to create an app that your customers would want to use. For an ideal app, it is important that you add just the right features, the features that not only go well with your app but are also important for you to serve your customers in the best possible manner. Naturally, this depends on the intent of the app you are making.
Most popular app features on Appy Pie
At this point in time you must ask yourself – how to make an app with the perfect features for your clients. Finding the right features for your app, is key to creating a successful app. No matter how brilliant your idea is, or how beautiful your app looks, if your app doesn’t have the right features to help your customers complete the actions you want them to take, there is not much of a point to it all. Is there?
Step 7: Test, test, and test before the launch
Just because you know how to make an app, it doesn’t necessarily mean that you are ready to go live with it!
It is natural to think of your product as something that is the best and most flawless product ever. However, it is rarely ever true for any first-time product. When you build your own app yourself, it is important that you spend some time in testing the app diligently.
Developers who skimp out on this step have often suffered heavily for it. It may seem that you are saving up on some precious time by skipping this step, but the problem arises when an untested app goes live and is infested with bugs and suffers through countless crashes which may have been avoided altogether.
Alpha testing is mostly a simulated or in some cases actual operational testing carried out by potential app users or independent testers at the developers’ site.
Beta testing consists of releasing the beta versions of the app to a limited audience (not a part of the programming team), also referred to as beta testers. Beta testing your app is crucial if you want an app to function well and we have a succinct 10 step process to help you through it.
Based on the results of the testing process, the app may need a little bit of a change and once you have done that, you are ready for the next step, going live!
Step 8: Publish your app
The most awaited time for any app developer is the time to go live on app stores! The question how to make an app has changed to how to publish my app. This is where all the fun happens! The process to publish your app is different for different app stores and we have created dedicated guides to help you out with both.
Once you have published your android app on the Google Play Store and our iOS app on the Apple App Store, your app users can easily go there and download your app from there.
Now, just going through the steps mechanically may not be enough. The Apple App Store can be pretty tough on your app and you may need a bit of a guidance to get the app store to approve your app. Some time ago we created a little guide for our users that can get the App Store to approve their app and it might help you as well!
Additionally, we have also put together a set of 10 tips to avoid your app from being rejected by Apple App Store. Apple App Store has, in recent times become quite stringent about the apps it approves and this article can help you avoid the fate!
Step 9: Promote your app
This is the world of marketing and just because you have made an awesome app and published it on the app store, it doesn’t mean customers would be beelining for your app on the app stores! This means even if you have found answer to the question how to build an app, you must ask yourself how to promote your app!
When you are developing an app with the intent to offer a solution to any existing problem, you must be prepared for the fact that people might already be employing a certain solution already. You would have to think how you would be able to convince them to make that change.
This is where Marketing comes in!
Marketing is not the villain we have chalked it up to be. Even the best of the products needs the help of marketing to get it in front of the right audience. There are millions of apps on the app stores, you need visibility and marketing is the way to go ahead!
Marketing is not a linear process where you move progressively from one stage to the other. In fact, there are high chances of you making errors while employing even the best of time-tested marketing strategies. Here, we have put together a list of pre and post launch mobile app marketing pitfalls that you must avoid at all costs.
Step 10: Ask your users for feedback
This is the world of marketing and just because you have made an awesome app and published it on the app store, it doesn’t mean customers would be beelining for your app on the app stores!
- Collecting quantitative data through app analytics
- Collecting qualitative data through surveys and interviews
- Establishing a personal connection by talking to the app users on a regular basis
One of the easiest ways to do this is by sending your app users an email and ask them nicely about how they are using your app. Don’t ask them if they like your app, ask them how they are using the app. When you ask directly if they like your app or how it can be improved, answers may be either vague or opinionated and that’s not really going to help!
The best way to get the feedback from your users would probably to watch them using your app. This way you would be able to identify the app interactions that are not going the way you expected them to. This is a great way to measure up and compare your expectations with the real-world results. In case there is a mismatch, you may either need to tweak your expectations or change your app to fulfil your expectations.
The idea here is to experiment with different actions and gauge their results. It is only when you have thoroughly tested out your actions and measured the results that you would be able to figure out what works the best for your app.
Why should you make your apps accessible?
Every journey starts with a single step and we have seven for you! Though we are listing the seven steps out for you, you need not follow the order in which we have listed them out. On the completion of all seven steps you would have built an app that would definitely be more accessible, developed an understanding of the benefits of app accessibility, a vision of the steps that you’d need to take further, and a clearer vision of the journey ahead. So, here we go!
- Learn about accessibility: It is important that you develop an understanding about the various kinds of disabilities and the ways in which they impact the users’ ability to use the app.
- Quick accessibility check: As you are looking into ways to make your app accessible, you might already have a moderately accessible app in your hands. Hence, it would be wise to run your app for a quick accessibility check. In case your app is entirely inaccessible, it probably has something to do with the technology that was used to build it. In such a scenario the app should be reviewed by a professional testing body who might be able to offer you advice on a practical way to move ahead. However if the app is accessible but not as much as you would like it to be, then these steps can definitely help you improve it.
- Publish an accessibility statement: The intent of publishing an accessibility statement is to announce your commitment to accessibility. This statement will help you define this very intent of your app to be made available and be usable by the greatest number of people irrespective of their abilities or disabilities. It is possible that not all the elements of your app are as accessible as you’d like them to be, but that’s quite OK. Let the statement reflect that you are working to improve the situation and would appreciate feedback from the users or experts in the arena. This will help you prioritize and categorize the changes that are still needed.
- Provide a ‘Contact Us’ feature: Conducting quick tests and enhancing them on the basis of the testing you do on your app can’t be enough for you to be sure that your app is accessible. There would always be a scope for improvement and the genuine feedback from the real users is of great importance in this regard. When you include a ‘Contact Us’ feature for the users, they can reach out to you with ease and let you know wherever there is a scope for any improvement.
- Ensure reading sequence is logical: It is important that the experience of accessing and utilizing the app be simple and convenient for all the users including those who would be using a screen reader. This means that the information on the screen should be read in a logical sequence including input fields, the images should have a description, all the controls within the app must be described correctly, and the acronyms or any special symbols must be implemented in a way that they can be read correctly.
- Create a user interface that is easy to operate: The user interface and the user experience are prime factors in determining whether your app can be a success or not. Though accessibility encompasses a number of different factors, understandability and operability are two of the most important aspects and form the foundation. It is important to keep the layout simple and sparse in the interest of accommodating a variety of devices and operating systems.
- Ensure text formatting can be altered: This is especially relevant for the apps that have a great amount of text placed on the screens like eBooks, eMagazines, ecommerce apps that have detailed product descriptions etc. the user must be able to adjust the font size, font type, font color, or the background color to make the content legible.
BONUS: How Appy Pie App Maker builds your app
The answer to your question – how to build an app is here! Simply drag and drop all the features you want in your app and place a request to build your app, Appy Pie AppMaker will take care of everything else.
Appy Pie’s app creator helps you build fully functional apps while cutting down the development time and costs. Build a native app like experience without having to learn any coding or spending beyond your means.
With Appy Pie’s no-code app builder, you can create Android and iOS mobile apps for a variety of businesses in different sectors including healthcare, education, entertainment, finance, ecommerce, restaurants and much more. Appy Pie has a vast range of features such as store, photo, video, social network, food court, etc. to help you build your desired app without any hassles of coding.
Appy Pie’s DIY platform also provides a number of video tutorials that will help you learn how to create an app and add the features easily, along with an experienced customer support team to back you up in case of any issues or queries.
Here is the step by step breakdown of the process that puts to rest the question that’s haunting you – how to build an app using Appy Pie’s no-code app development platform.
It begins when a user initiates a request to build an Android or iOS app, on Appy Pie. Next, the Appy Pie server gets this request and checks validation or other build requirements. The server then connects with AWS DevOps system through API Gateway endpoint. Now, the API Gateway puts forth a request to AWS Lambda Function, which checks the request and updates it to the database. At this point, AWS Lambda connects to the suitable DevOps service as per the platform preferences. This means, AWS Lambda will connect to AWS Pipeline for .apk (Android) and to Azure DevOps service for .ipa (iOS).
After building the app, the relevant DevOps service connects to AWS Lambda function and updates the app to our database DynamoDB. AWS Lambda now connects to the Appy Pie server to update the app build. Once the app build is successfully completed, you will receive an email with information about the app and in case of any error the developer or the client will be notified to take necessary action.
At the end of the process, you get apps that are ready to go live on app stores of your choice without having to worry about maintaining native SDKs. Appy Pie’s no-code app developer software does all the work for you and builds your app in the cloud using the most up-to-date SDKs for the platform you chose to publish your app on. The best part is that we can help you create apps that are supported on multiple platforms. This means no matter which app store your target audience prefers, you can tap them with great efficiency. The platform lets you build apps in minutes, reducing your time to market and giving you the worm that only the early birds get!
Take the quiz
Now that you know the entire process of creating an app with Appy Pie App Creator, let’s see how much you have really learnt. Take the quiz below and if you get the right score, you can earn a certification in app development from Appy Pie. What is the hold up? Get going now!
Top Frequently Asked Questions
How much does it cost to build an app?
You can make a mobile app using Appy Pie app building platform. However, if you want to publish your mobile app to Google Play Store and Apple App Store, you need to upgrade it to one of our paid plans. To know more about our pricing, click here.
How do you create an app without any coding?
You can use Appy Pie no code app development platform to create an app without any coding. Follow the steps below to create an app in a few minutes:
- Go to appypie.com and click on “Get Started”
- Enter your business name and click on Next
- Choose the category that suits your business the best
- Pick a color scheme you like
- Select the device where you want to test your app
- Customize your app design if you wish to, and click on Save and Continue
- Take a deep breath, your app is getting ready. Once built, scan the QR code or send the app installation link to your device via email or SMS, and test the demo app
- Go to My Apps section by opening the Welcome drop down menu present in top navigation
- Click on the Edit option to edit your app. You will be shown the Gold plan. You can either go with Try Now or Buy Now option. The ‘Try now’ option comes with a 2-Day Trial so that you are fully satisfied with the app before you make the purchase
- On the creator software, you can add your desired features
- Once you are done, click on Save and Continue to finish creating your app
Please note whichever option you choose, you need to provide credit card details. We use credit card details to check the authenticity of the users. Don’t worry, we don’t charge anything without your confirmation, even after the trial ends
How do you make money from an app?
There are multiple way of making money from an app. Listed here are some of the proven ways of earning money from mobile apps –
- In app advertising
- In app purchases
- Paid apps
- Affiliate program
How much does it cost to publish an app on the app store?
There are different charges on different platforms for publishing an app. Google Play Store charges a one-time developer fee of USD 25, while Apple App Store charges USD 99 for creating developer account.
How to create an app without coding skills?
You can create an app without coding skills using Appy Pie no code platform. Yes, whether you are a professional, a beginner, or a business owner with no coding knowledge, you can make an app with Appy Pie without any technical knowledge.
How to Create an App from Scratch?
You need absolutely no coding skills to build an app from scratch. You can follow the steps below to build your own app for Android and iOS
- Go to appypie.com/app-builder/appmaker
- Click on “Create your app”
- Enter your desired business name and click on Next
- Pick the category that your business fits best in
- Choose the color scheme that you love
- Select the device for your test app
- Customize the look and feel of your app
- Once done, click on Save & Continue
- Take a deep breath and wait till your app is getting built
- Once the app is ready, scan the QR code or send the app installation link to your device via email or SMS, and test the demo app
- Go to My Apps
- Click on the Edit option to start editing your app
- You will be shown the Gold plan. You can either go with Try Now or Buy Now option. The ‘Try now’ option comes with a 2-Day Trial so that you are fully satisfied with the app before you make the purchase
- On the app maker, add the features you want
- Once you are done, click on Save and Continue to finish creating your app
Please note whichever option you choose, you would need to provide credit card details. We use credit card details to check the authenticity of the users. Don’t worry, we don’t charge anything without your confirmation, even after the trial ends
How to validate your app ideas?
Listed here are some effective tips and tricks that can help you validate your app ideas –
- A thorough research
- Analyze the app store charts
- Validate the need
- Get an idea of your target market size
- Develop an understanding of your app’s product market fit
- Exhibit the feasibility
- Align the idea with other useful apps
- Garner feedback from potential users
- Keep in mind the technical challenges and scope
- Create an MVP
- Build your brand identity
- Create a landing page“>landing page
- Promote your app
How do I start an app business?
You can make an app for your business using Appy Pie and bring your business to mobile in no time. You can also signup for our reseller program and start an app business of your own. Click here to know more about Appy Pie’s Mobile App Reseller Program.
Creating an app may seem intimidating to begin with, particularly if you are not technically inclined. However, this post breaks the process down into these easy to follow steps that will help you to learn how to create an app easily. It is important that you have a plan ahead of you before you embark on your app building journey and each step should not only be chalked out clearly, but also scrutinized beforehand.
A mobile app can give your business a boost and an edge over your competition, helping you connect better with your target users. With Appy Pie App Builder, you can eliminate the tedious parts of the process and create your own app without coding in just a few minutes. Get going now!