An Introduction to Graphic Design: What is Graphic Design
Graphic design is the process of visual communication using photography, illustration, and typography. Look around you. Graphic design is everywhere, from candy bar wrappers to the coffee mug logos to book covers. In fact, you see many examples of the graphic design around you every single day, and usually, you don’t realize it. Graphic design is very important for marketing and selling products and is a critical component of brochures and logos. Therefore, graphic designers are also referred to as graphic artists or communication designers, often work closely with people in advertising and promotions, public relations, and marketing. In this blog, we will be discussing different aspects of Graphic Designing. Graphic design helps in many ways. Few uses of graphic design include:
- Poster Design
- Logo Design
- Gift Certificate
- Email Header
- Attractive and elegant
- Simple and versatile
- Facebook Post Design
- Twitter Banner Design
Posters are visible from a distance because of their large sizes. Thus the information they convey should also be readable from a distance. A creative poster design can convey a message to its audience in a very unique manner. The use of elements like colors, typefaces, images, illustrations, etc. should stand out.
To create a powerful logo design, you need to make sure that you know the brand inside out. The logo should be unique but simple that conveys a brand message clearly. Play with colors and fonts as per the brand personality to send the appropriate message. It should be a simple, versatile and scalable logo.
A Gift Certificate is distributed by retailers and marketers as part of a promotion strategy, to entice the buyer. Thus gift certificates need to be extremely creative. Use formats that encourage recipients to open their electronic gift certificates. Provide a clear call to action on the gift certificates.
Your readers will appreciate eye-catching email headers. Well-designed email headers have a few key qualities. A good email header must be:
A good Facebook post engages your customer base, attracts new clients, and provides your audience with information about the goods and services that you offer. Facebook posts should be simple and clear. Remember play with the appropriate fonts. Use high-quality images for your Facebook post.
To create a successful twitter banner you need to play with images, graphics, illustrations and fonts. The background and colors of your banner should be related to your brand. If you are using Twitter to promote yourself, your brand or business a great banner leaves a positive impression.
Other usages of graphic design are
- Corporate identity/branding
- Packaging (from shampoo pouches to appliances)
- Printed materials (books, flyers, magazines, newspapers)
- Online art (blogs, websites, banners)
- Album covers
- Film and television titles and graphics
- T-shirt and clothing designs
- Greeting cards
Graphic designers combine art and technology to communicate ideas via images and the layout of websites and printed pages. They may use a variety of design elements to achieve artistic or decorative effects. Designers take into consideration various elements like:
- Typography: The selection and sizing of specific typefaces can convey meaning. For example, a sans-serif font conveys an authority that a thin-stroke scripted font does not.
- Shape: Shape gives out messages to audiences in different ways. Ovals, for example, tend to be welcoming (which is why so many open signs or welcome signs have them), whereas square shapes present a tidier appearance.
- Color: Colors influence the audience’s emotional engagement with the design.
- Texture: Adding non-standard elements like fabric, foil or embossing offers a tactile experience that influences and extends the audience’s perception of the design as a whole.
Designers consider white space, too: the absence or presence can be as powerful as the presence of something concrete. The science behind the great design is what it speaks. Each designer applies his or her own creative genius to develop a specific work product that meets the client’s needs.
Graphic designers work with both text and images. They are the ones who select the type, font, size, color, and line length of headlines, and text. Graphic designers also decide on the fact that how images and text will go together on a print or webpage, including how much space each will have. When using text in layouts, graphic designers collaborate with writers, who choose the right words and decide whether these words will be put into paragraphs, lists, or tables. The use of images, text, color, graphic designers has the ability to transform statistical data into visual graphics and diagrams, which can make complex ideas more accessible. Duties and jobs of Graphic Designers are listed below:
- Meet clients or art directors to determine the scope of a project
- Use photo editing software to create designs
- Create visual elements such as logos, illustrations, and images that help deliver the desired message
- Design layouts, select colors, images to use
- Present design concepts to clients
- Incorporate all major or minor changes recommended by clients into final designs
- Review designs for mistakes before publishing or printing them
Qualities Graphic Designers need to possess
- Communication skills:Graphic designers must communicate with clients and customers to ensure that their designs accurately reflect the desired message and effectively express information.
- Analytical skills: Graphic designers must be able to see their work from the point of view of their consumers and examine how the designs they create will be perceived by consumers or clients to make sure they convey the desired message.
- Artistic ability: Graphic designers, come what may, must be able to create designs that are interesting and appealing to clients and consumers.
- Creativity: Graphic designers must be able to think of new ideas and approaches to communicate the consumers’ ideas. They should be able to develop unique designs that convey a message on behalf of their clients.
- Computer skills: Most graphic designers must know how to use specialized graphic design software to prepare their designs.
- Time-management skills: Graphic designers often work on multiple projects at the same time, each with a different deadline.
The modern ways of working include vast technology and easy access to the internet. This has made the work of designers less complicated. With a large number of tools coming up, unique and interesting designs are becoming the need of the hour. The trick about being a good designer is not just about having creative ideas and execution but also having the right tools/equipment. Graphic designers should always continue exploring various tools that are ideal for their requirements. They should also stay updated on the newest trends venturing into the market. This signifies that I should invest in the latest design tools, technology, devices, and software.
Here are the 5 best tools for graphic designers to use in their works.
If a designer uses Photoshop, then Pixlr Editor will seem to be quite familiar. Pixlr is the best option for clients who have easy image editing requirements.
This tool is the mentioning of memo meant for the graphic designers who want to continue on engraving frame of flagship layout editor of Adobe named InDesign.
Pantone Color Guides
Pantone color guides are considered as excellent reference manuals. Various guides like Coated and solid are accessible, and you can get those that you need exactly for your final product. Though they may be costly, they are surely worth its price!
This tool approaches the design subject in all the sizes and shapes and selecting the right tool relies on what you are applying for, but you are suggested, to begin with, a medium-size Wacom Bamboo.
Visual CSS Tools
They are reflected as a website supported CSS generator on a visual basis along with features that many distinct websites supported gradient generators do not contain.
List of Best Graphic Design Software for Beginners in 2019
- Adobe Illustrator
- Adobe XD
- Adobe InDesign
- Serif Drawplus
- Xara Xtreme
- Coral PaintShop
- Coral PhotoImpact
If you are willing to put your time and effort, you can use basic graphic design tools and create beautiful artwork on a competitive level. With all those new tools and repertoire, you are bound to make some work happen. Whether for ourselves or for clients, designing has paved the way to new areas. Sign up for the Appy Pie academy graphic design course and become part of an amazing community.
Most Popular Posts
- 25 Best Programming Languages for Mobile Apps & Top Mobile App Development Tools & FrameworksBy Snigdha | June 21, 2018
- Most Popular Web Development Frameworks for 2019-20By Aasif | August 17, 2019
- How to Promote Your Mobile App for Free?By Vivek | May 04, 2019
- How to create a food delivery app like UberEats or Deliveroo?By Snigdha | November 10, 2018
- Top Best-Paying Mobile Ad Networks [2019 Edition]By Joel | July 19, 2019