How to Create a Ride Sharing App Like Uber? [Features, Benefits, and Steps]
Most people prefer sharing rides while travelling in cabs and taxis. The concept of ride sharing is cost-effective, efficient, and puts the whole positive impact on the environment conservation. The major goals behind people sharing rides is to –
- Travel comfortable
- Save time and money
- Reduce traffic congestion
- Avoid the hassle of driving own vehicle
- Reduce the emissions that come from vehicles
Table of Contents
Most ride sharing agencies use apps, websites, GPS, and even social media to find more commuters and connect them to the drivers. Anyone who wish to commute from one place to another can just sign-in to the ride sharing app of their choice and book the ride. If someone wants to offer rides to commuters, they can just sign up with any ride sharing agency and start offering ride sharing services.
In this blog, we have explained what a ride sharing app is and what benefits you get if you start using one for your business.
Additionally, we have listed the roles-based features and the process of creating an app all by yourself. Just go through the post and you will find out how simple it is to make an app and take a step forward on your way to gain success.
What is a Ride Sharing App?
Ride sharing apps help you find fellow riders sharing the same route or heading to the same destination as you are. These apps are quite different from regular taxi services. In ride sharing, you can split the fare with fellow travelers which means these services are cost-effective.
Ride sharing apps are of three different types. Here is the list.
- Ride sharing apps: These apps let the driver of rideshare vehicles share the ride with people heading to the same destination.
- Carpooling apps: In the concept of carpooling, a group of people alongside the driver travel to the same destination, they split the fare among themselves without paying a third-party.
- Peer-to-peer apps: These apps are used when car owners can offer their cars to be rented on a fixed rental fee for a fixed amount of time.
Popular Ride Sharing Apps
Here is the list of top ride-sharing apps that you can consider when need to share a ride.
- Uber Taxi App: This is the leading taxi services company that is currently operating in 800 cities in almost 84 countries. The company has come so far synchronizing in Riders Apps and Drivers App without any glitch. It comes with various effective features like mobile wallets, flexible payment options, panic mode, and much more.
- Gett Taxi App: This is one of the major taxi service apps used in the USA. The app has affordable rates and allows the rider to book a ride 2 weeks before the traveling day. Gett comes with a high-grade app and excellent high-end technology.
- Wings Taxi App: The app comes with a huge transportation network providing scheduled, private, and fixed price rates. It operates in 30 cities in the United States. The best part about the app is that it lets you choose your driver as per your preferences. With this app, you can also build a list of your favorite drivers for future bookings. Wings allows users to book a ride from 2 hours to up to 1 year in advance. It offers considerable options for luggage and over-sized bags.
Now that we know what ride sharing apps are, let us go through some statistics to understand how these apps are performing in the market.
Why Use a Ride Sharing App?
Here are a few major reasons why you must use a ride sharing app for your business.
Benefits for Business Owners
- Boost the Speed of Services: A mobile app for your ride sharing business helps you boost the speed of the services that you offer. The best part is all the participants in the process enjoy their benefits.
As an app owner, you will get your source of profit
Passengers need not waste time on dispatcher calls, and they can simplify their taxi booking process
Drivers, on the other hand, get a chance to find new rides and deal with the process in seconds
- Partner with Freelance Drivers: You need not just run a car fleet all by yourself when you introduce a ride sharing app. You can partner with other transport agencies and freelance taxi drivers that exist in a certain area and increase your efficiency. This way you can majorly focus on maintaining the app’s client-side and databases on the server.
- Larger Userbase of Drivers and Passengers: Millions of people around the world use ride sharing apps for their day-to-day travels. Most of them are used to taking advantage of mobile apps of all sorts regularly.
Creating an app for your ride sharing business helps you extend your services to mobile devices and reach out to a wider audience in no time. Your app allows your possible passengers to book a taxi in just a few clicks and drivers need not roam around to find new clients.
- Better Communication with Clients: With ride sharing apps, businesses can provide excellent customer service and deliver their users a great customer experience. This helps them establish better relationships with their clients.
Benefits for Riders
- Live Tracking: Ride sharing apps offer this amazing feature of live tracking for the riders. Users can locate their rides with this option.
- Alternative Transportation: Ride sharing apps help commuters with different transportation alternatives. This helps them get to where they need to go conveniently.
- Cost-Effective: Going for ride sharing can be a cheap option for the users to travel as they can split the cost with more than one person.
- Cashless Payment Options: Ride sharing apps come with different cashless payment options which makes it easier for the users to process their payments. Adding various payment options to your ride sharing app can help you cater to the needs of your target audience and provide them what they expect.
What are the Features of a Ride Sharing App?
We have divided the features list into three categories – riders, drivers, and app owners. These features in the list are based on their contribution to the business.
Features for Riders
Here is the list of the features essential for riders.
- Registration: With this feature, users can register on the portal. Here they can provide their details and create a unique profile for themselves. They can then use this account whenever they need to use your application.
- Real-Time Tracking: This feature helps users track their ride anytime using their application. The feature helps drivers also in reaching out to the concerned person.
- Multiple Payment Options: Multiple payment options help users pay using different modes of payments like debit cards, credit cards, net banking, or any payment app that they use.
- Ride Management: Ride management feature helps riders manage their ride. The feature helps users find a suitable ride by checking out the details of other users who are planning to take the same route. Under this feature, users can find the ride details like type of transportation, preferred route, etc. With this feature, they can cancel or modify the ride as per their requirements.
- Passengers’ Profile: This feature helps passengers create trust and security among themselves. Under this feature, riders can access the details and profile of their co-passengers.
- In-app Chat System: The feature provides users with an option to instantly communicate with the support team or the driver especially when any kind of confusion or inconsistency arises before the ride starts.
- Push Notifications: This feature helps users get their ride information like car information, their ride status, estimated travel time, estimated time of arrival, people they are riding with, and much more.
- Rating and Reviews: This feature helps both, users and business owners. By using this feature, the riders can post reviews and give ratings based on their ride experience.
Features for Drivers
Here is the list of features that you can add for the drivers in your ride sharing app.
- Registration: With this feature, drivers can register and create their profiles by entering their details. This helps them keep their information secured.
- Riders’ Information: With this feature, drivers can get to know the mentioned destination of the rider and full trip details so that they can calculate and get an estimated time and cost to be spent.
- Accept/Reject the Ride Request: This feature allows drivers to accept or cancel the ride as per their availability.
- Payments: With this feature, the driver can receive the payments in cash or the cashless mode based on the option selected by the users.
- In-app Communication: This feature helps drivers get in contact with the riders and communicate with them directly.
- Navigation: This feature includes GPS and different mapping options to help drivers easily navigate the routes.
Features for App Owners
Whether the app owner gets involved in driving or not, they still need to manage the business. Here are the features that you must add to your app for yourself to help them manage your ride sharing business.
- Vehicle Management: This feature helps the admin keep track of the performance of the vehicles and check if they are meeting the set ride sharing standards.
- Driver Management: This feature helps admin hire new drivers, keep a check on the old ones. This feature also offers processing payments to the drivers based on the settlement.
- Complaint Management: This feature helps the admin address the users’ needs and concerns. This helps them maintain customer retention and loyalty.
- Payment Management: This feature helps the admin calculate the payments received, the total earnings, and the commission rates.
- Ratings and Reviews Management: Under this feature, the admin can access the ratings and reviews shared by the users and they can then utilize this information in enhancing their ride sharing services.
- Key Statistics and Metrics: This section includes various other features that help the admin in analyzing the overall performance of the business. These features include notifications management, metrics, data analytics, email templates, and much more.
How to Create a Ride Sharing App Like Uber?
Creating an app for your ride sharing business can help you take your brand to all-new levels of success. All you need to do is find excellent app building software online and start creating your ride sharing app.
I would recommend you using Appy Pie’s AppMakr to make your ride sharing app. The software comes with various unique features to help you make a useful app for your clients. The best part about this software is that it allows you to make two separate apps for the driver and passengers’ use.
Here are a few simple steps to help you build your own ride sharing app with Appy Pie’s AppMakr.
- Enter Your App Name: This is the very first step in the process of creating your own app. Enter a unique name for your app and proceed to the next step.
- Pick Your Preferred Template: On the next screen, you get to choose the app template of your choice. You can customize these templates as per your business needs.
- Add Your Desired Features: Once you have chosen your template and customized it, you can then add your preferred features on the next screen.
- Test Your App: Make sure you test your app before it goes live. This helps you monitor its performance and allows you to fix the performance issues if any.
- Publish Your App: After testing your app, you can publish it on your preferred app stores.
Why Use Appy Pie’s AppMakr to Create a Ride Sharing App?
Appy Pie’s AppMakr comes with numerous benefits when it comes to creating an app for your ride sharing business.
Other than the benefits and features mentioned above, here is what Appy Pie offers.
- Geo-Location Feature
- Currency Filtering
- Internal messaging system
- Member verification
- Email & Facebook login
- Google map integration
- Language Filtering
- Fulltime Customer Support
- Email & SMS notifications Management
The app maker offers various front end and back end that you can use and make your app stand out from others.
That was all! I hope this guide has helped you learn everything you needed to know before you create an app for your ride sharing business.
Just go for Appy Pie’s AppMakr, the best app-making platform available online make your own ride sharing app in just a few clicks. And remember, you need not be technically trained to make this app for yourself. The platform comes with codeless development that allows you to create an excellent app in minutes.
Try out Appy Pie today and create the best ride sharing app of all times! Good Luck!