Best Slack Slash Commands to Boost your Productivity
Slack is one of the most popular and efficient modern communication tools for businesses. Despite its popularity, not many people know how to use it in the most efficient manner. According to a recent survey by Slack, their paid users spend about 90 minutes per day, on average, actively using the platform.
This is a significant amount of time for employees to spend on a communication platform. Slack slash commands are essentially shortcuts that reduce the time taken to complete the same action in a considerably short amount of time, thus increasing the overall productivity and efficiency of the entire team.
Another way to achieve the same result is through Slack integrations. Appy Pie Connect lets you build meaningful integrations between Slack and other popular apps you use every day.
31 Slack slash commands for enhanced productivity
Slash commands are your shortcut to the most commonly used functions on Slack. Using slash commands means you end up saving a whole lot of productive time.
Channel management and navigation
- /leave [#channel]
- /leave [@name]
- /mute [#channel]
This slash command lets you join a specific channel from a different channel or a private message.
Using an open command, you can open a channel or a chat with individuals you are connected to using the commands. You can open a channel in your side panel by simply typing in /open #[Channel] or /open [@Name] to open a chat with an individual on the platform. This chat will also be displayed on the side panel.
At any point in time, if you feel that a channel you are a part of is not relevant anymore, you can simply type in the command /leave. Following this command, you will not get any messages from this channel, and it will be removed automatically from your side panel.
Just like a channel, you can use the /leave command to leave a chat with an individual. The chat will then be removed from your side panel.
There will always be channels that you find relevant and of great value, but do not wish to receive notifications for every message. If you are on a channel and want to mute it, simply type /mute, and you can type the same command to unmute it whenever you wish.
You can use this command to mute a channel different than the one you are currently in. You can also [@name] someone to mute an individual conversation. Type in the same command you will unmute it just as easily.
If a specific channel has many images, making it difficult to follow a conversation or find messages, you can use the collapse command. Using this command would essentially hide all the images so that you can read the messages easily in one go.
To undo the collapse command, if you need to see all the images on the channel, simply type in /expand. This command will show you all the images or photos that have been shared on the channel in the natural conversation flow.
Every channel has a clear topic displayed at the top, which indicates what the channel is about. However, as time goes by, the conversation within the channel may evolve. Type /topic and then the new topic you want to set for the channel, and the topic will be changed automatically.
The description of the channel has detailed information about the purpose of the channel. If, however, the purpose or goal of the channel changes at any point in time, you can change the description with this slash command. Type /description followed by the new description, and it will change.
This command is a quick way to change the name of a channel. Just type in /rename and then the new channel name. That’s it!
If a channel losses relevance or significance, you can archive it with this command. This command will close the channel for any new activity, but the messages will still be available for anyone who wants to go through them. A channel member can unarchive the channel if they feel the need for it.
Show availability and set Slack status
Your active status indicates your active availability to the rest of the platform users. As soon as you are back at your desk, type in /active to switch your green light on and indicate your availability.
Communication platforms, even at work, can deter your focus and derail your progress in critical activities. You can avoid it all by simply typing in /dnd and then the time till when you wish to block all Slack notifications. So you can type in something like /dnd for 20 minutes or /dnd until 3:15 pm and pay undivided attention to the critical tasks at hand.
Inactivity on your desktop or closing your Slack app will cause it to show your status as away. However, you can set it to away manually by typing this slash command. In this case, you will have to manually set it to active once you are back at the desk.
Let everyone in the team know what you are up to using this slash command. It could be to let them know that you are in a meeting and may take some time to respond. Or let people know that you are working remotely for the day. Simply type in /status followed by the status you want to set.
Using this slash command, you can easily reach the search bar, and from here, you can easily use the advanced search slash commands followed by the entire message or keywords to find the Slack message you want.
- in:#[channel] or in:[@name]: Search for a specific message in a channel or the direct messages (DMs) with an individual.
- to:me: Search for a specific message among the messages sent to you.
- from: [@name]: Search among the messages sent by an individual.
- has:link: Search among all the messages that include at least one link.
- has:reaction: Search from among all the messages anyone reacted to with quick Slack reactions or emojis.
- on:[date/month/year]: Search for messages sent on a particular date.
- during:[month/year]: Search for messages sent during a specific month.
- before:[date]: Search for messages sent before a particular date.
- after:[date]: Search for messages sent after a particular date.
Setting reminders for everything on your calendar is a hassle, in fact, it can become quite unproductive. Whether you want to remind yourself, a team member, or an entire channel about something, you can easily set a reminder on Slack using this slash command. Type in /remind [@name or #channel]“[what]” [when], and Slack will do the rest.
The Slack App Directory has over 2400 useful apps which you can download as per the required functionality on Slack. You can find any app by typing /app followed by the name of the app you want to install.
If you want to subscribe to an RSS feed for any publication, blog, website, podcast, etc., this slash command can help you do just that!
Apart from the slash commands, another way to improve productivity on Slack is by using keyboard shortcuts. So, if you want to take a quick look at all the available keyboard shortcuts, all you need to do is type /shortcuts!
As a user, your feedback is of utmost importance to the organization. Hence, if you have an issue to report or you need help with a particular feature, simply type /feedback and then type the message that you want to send forth as feedback or query to Slack.
If you want to emphasize something, you can italicize it with this slash command. Simply type /me followed by the text you want to italicize.
Use this slash command when you want to drop a quick message on a specific channel or dm someone in particular by using slash commands like /msg [#channel] or [/dm @someone] followed by your message.
Nothing is more expressive than a shrug when you want to convey indifference, ignorance, or a ” what do I care ” attitude. Use the /shrug slash command at the beginning of the message, and the ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ gesture will appear at the end of the message.
You can use Slack to call people with this simple slash command. So if you are in the middle of a text conversation and want to switch to a call, just type in /call.
Use this slash command to invite other Slack users to your current channel by typing /invite [@name]
If, however, you want to invite someone to a different channel than the one you are on currently, type in /invite [@name][#channel]
If you want to invite someone who is not on Slack, you can type in /invite_people and then their email address to send them an invite to the platform.
As a workspace owner or admin, you can remove people from the current channel by typing in /remove [@name] and /kick [@name].
If you quickly want to know the names of all the members in a channel, you can simply type /who to get the names of up to 100 members in any channel.
Top Slack Integrations
Slack is a powerful tool, but these slash commands help you improve your use of Slack more productively. Of course, the list of slash commands is massive, and we have only offered you a list that focuses on improving your productivity at work. But, there is another way to boost productivity with Slack – workflow automation with Appy Pie Connect, that too without any coding.
Here is a list of the most useful Slack integrations you can set up in minutes to improve your organization’s overall productivity and performance.
- Slack with Amazon SQS
Amazon SQS is a managed message queuing service that offers reliable, highly scalable messaging and transaction processing.
Popular integrations of Slack with Amazon SQS
- Create a new JSON message on Amazon SQS automatically whenever a message is starred on Slack.
- Create a new message on Amazon SQS automatically whenever a new message is posted on the specified Slack channel.
- Create a new queue on Amazon SQS automatically whenever a message is posted to a specified private channel or multi-dm on Slack.
SugarCRM is an intense CRM product with provisions for various aspects, from sales and marketing to service and support. The platform has found popularity among companies of all sizes and varied verticals.
Popular integrations of Slack with SugarCRM
- Create a new case on Sugar CRM automatically whenever a new Slack channel is created.
- Create a new case on Sugar CRM automatically whenever a new user joins Slack or a new account is created on Slack.
- Create a new case on Sugar CRM automatically whenever a username is mentioned, or a word is highlighted in a public Slack channel.
Zendesk Sell is a digital, mobile-based CRM software that helps sales professionals manage sales, track prospects, and communicate with customers.
Popular integrations of Slack with Zendesk Sell
- Creates a company on Zendesk Sell automatically whenever a new Slack channel is created.
- Create a new deal on Zendesk Sell automatically whenever a new message is starred in Slack.
- Create a new lead on Zendesk Sell automatically whenever a new user joins Slack, or a new account is created on Slack.
Shiprocket is a tech-powered logistics platform that brings together various stakeholders like retailers, consumers, and supply chain partners to create impressive shipping experiences.
Popular integrations of Slack with ShipRocket
- Create a new product on ShipRocket automatically whenever a message is starred on Slack.
- Cancel an order on ShipRocket automatically whenever a message is posted to a specific private channel or multi-dm on Slack.
- Create a custom order on ShipRocket automatically whenever a message is starred on Slack.
Snapchat is a unique messaging app that is wildly popular as it lets users exchange pictures and videos that disappear once they’re viewed.
Popular integrations of Slack with Snapchat
- Create a campaign on Snapchat automatically whenever you star a message on Slack.
- Create a member on Snapchat automatically whenever a new user joins Slack or a new account is created on Slack.
- Create a campaign on Snapchat automatically whenever a new message is posted on the specific Slack channel of your choice.
Chargebee is a subscription management and recurring billing application for SaaS and SaaS-like enterprises. It helps businesses streamline revenue operations.
Popular integrations of Slack with Chargebee
- Create a new customer in Chargebee automatically whenever a new user joins Slack or a new account is created on Slack.
- Record an offline payment for unpaid invoices automatically in Chargebee whenever a message is posted to a specific private channel or multi-dm on Slack.
- Pause a subscription in Chargebee automatically whenever a message is starred in Slack.
Slack is a fantastic communication platform, and the slash commands make the usage simpler and more efficient. The second way to make this communication app successful is to integrate it with other valuable apps using Appy Pie Connect.
- Choosing the Right Workflow Automation Solutions: Your Path to Efficiency
- How to Use MongoDB to Create Your Own Chatbot
- Answered! How to Perfect the Art of Sales Prospecting
- Cyber Monday vs Black Friday: Which Shopping Day is Better?
How to host your first webinar – a step-by-step guide
- Google Contacts Backup [How to back up my contacts to Google Contacts?]
- How Financial Process Automation Can Help Your Business?
- Common App Design Mistakes to Avoid
- How to Customize LLM Models for Specific Tasks, Industries, or Applications?
- How An App Can Help Healthcare Industry Grow Its Customer Base and Revenue
Most Popular Posts
- Burnt Sienna Color Combinations in Graphic Designing: What Works Best
By Saumya | May 23, 2023
- Why Khaki Never Goes Out of Style: A Look into its Timeless Appeal
By Saumya | July 21, 2023
- Best AI Writing Tools for Professionals and Amateurs in 2023
By Snigdha | November 2, 2023
- How to write an Executive Summary for your Business Plan?
By Abhinav Girdhar | December 5, 2019
- Top 10 WordPress Integrations to Increase Productivity
By Abhinav Girdhar | October 19, 2022