13 Best To-do List Apps for Effective Task Management
Table of Content
To-do list apps help users organize and manage their business and personal tasks in an effective way. Some of these tasks are regular and some are interesting. The importance of performing these tasks is undisputed, specifically when you create a task list daily. For a business, the production rate and its success depend on various critical elements and appropriate use of to-do list apps is an important one.
You need to perform many tasks to keep your business running smoothly. There are many to-do list apps available online that can help you manage these tasks and make your life easier.
In this post, we have curated a list of the best to-do list apps to help you Identify the one that best fits your preferences.
- Google Tasks
Google Tasks is a free task management application that fully integrates with all Google applications. It helps users manage all the tasks using Gmail without opening a new window. The app offers a simple UI design that makes tasks easier to manage.
The user interface of the application is consistent and upholds the same minimalist and steady edge that Google preserves across its products. With this to-do list application, you can easily add subtasks, create lists, and set due dates.
The major advantage of using this app is that it creates tasks from emails as well which is great for people who use Gmail for work and personal use extensively.
Here are a few excellent features of this app.
- Tasks and subtasks management
- Manages multiple task lists
- Tasks from emails
- Due dates and notifications
- Drag and drop for arranging the tasks as per priority
- Tasks sorting filters
The app is efficient for a simple to-do list management. It offers an easy-to-use interface that helps users arrange the tasks easily. However, the app cannot handle complex tasks and team collaboration.
ClickUp is one app to replace them all. It’s the future of work. More than just task management – ClickUp offers docs, reminders, goals, calendars, and even an inbox. Fully customizable, ClickUp works for every type of team, so all teams can use the same app to plan, organize, and collaborate.
ClickUp’s core mission is to make the world more productive by removing friction caused by using so many different applications. ClickUp is trusted by millions of users and over 100,000 teams at the world’s best companies like Google, Airbnb, Uber, and Nike.
Built for teams of all sizes and industries, ClickUp’s fully customizable and proprietary features make it a must-have for any teams that want to keep everything from design to development in one place. The platform allows deep modularity in the form of add-ons called ‘ClickApps’, allowing rich customization for each team individually.
ClickUp allows you to create custom views that you can save and share with anyone and is packed full of proprietary features such as Assigned Comments, LineUp™, and Box view for unprecedented management of people.
ClickUp’s flexibility, simplicity, and ease of use make it a leader in what’s being called the ‘next generation of work’.
ToDoist has become quite a powerful to-do list app in the past few years. This popular to-do list app consists of numerous great features that help users manage their tasks by date, color-coding, and much more.
The free version of this tool is user-friendly and very well-designed. It allows users to create dependencies, sub-tasks, projects, and sub-projects. The tool lets users prioritize these tasks with color-codes, attach due dates, and categorize them. The apps premium account is paid and offers email reminders, push notifications, filters, and labels.
Here are a few key features of this app.
- Single and recurring task creation and labeling
- Task creation using your email inbox directly
- Comments for timely feedback on important tasks
- Priority levels for tasks to identify what needs to be done next
- Library of project templates
- Email notifications, SMS, and email reminders
- Contact list integration
- Automatic backups
- Real-time synchronization
- Customizable filters
- Sharing controls and Open API
- Third-party application integrations
The app offers a huge library of project templates, to inspire you. However, it lacks the advanced project tracking features. The basic version of this app is free whereas both, premium and business versions are paid.
TickTick is a new but popular task management app that has a lot of potentials. It allows users to add new tasks and sub-tasks, set reminders and deadlines, and then share them with other users. The app helps users set recurring to-do list items for a fixed number of days, weeks, months, and so on.
The app’s pro version has an excellent calendar view that displays your to-do list on a daily or weekly basis and helps you get ahead of the game. Another cool thing about this app is that you can drag tasks to change their orders as per your priority and drop them in the calendar to set a due date.
The app provides users with multiple tasks sorting tags and filters to help them prioritize and organize their tasks in a better way.
Let us go through the major features of this tool.
- Customized to-do lists and voice commands for quick addition
- Smart alerts and reminders for due tasks
- Calendar view to keep a check on all scheduled tasks
- Simple drag and drop functionality for tasks
- Personalized themes
- Time tracking and achievement scores
- Workflow summary and advanced project statistics
- Backup of data to retrieve if required
The tool offers a smart task management module to the users to help them organize their tasks. The free version of the tool provides all the core functionalities and the paid version offers customized themes, historical statistics, annual plan, calendar view, and much more.
Google Keep is one of the best task management apps that you can use to quickly create and save lists and notes and access them using multiple devices. It is a simple notepad that links to Google Drive and helps you sync with multiple devices easily. Using this tool, you can sync text notes, photos, checklists, and other voice notes with various devices and cloud as well.
There are not as many features in Google Keep as other to-do list apps, but if you use Google Drive frequently and like to create and edit lists on-the-go, this is an excellent option for you.
Google Keep helps you create quick lists that you can access from any device. It works like a simple note-taking platform that you can use to write all the important to-dos, save images, voice and text notes, and remove the tasks once they’re finished.
Here are a few top features of this tool.
- List and grid view of notes
- Reminders for all the tasks
- Notes archiving
- A quick and simple addition of tasks
- Audio notes for recording ideas
- Sharing of lists with collaborators
- Transcribe text from the uploaded images
- Customized labels for organizing notes
- Keeps important notes on top
The tool offers a user-friendly interface with simple to-do list management. You can use this tool for free. However, you can check their webpage for updated pricing information.
Wunderlist is one of the best to-do list apps that comes with a clean and user-friendly interface. Using this app, you can create your to-do list and share it with your friends and family. Microsoft bought this powerful productivity app in 2015.
Here are a few major features of this app.
- Unlimited task delegation
- Unlimited file uploads
- File folders
- Due Dates
- Note-taking capabilities
- Chrome browser extension
Wunderlist is a great app that syncs with your to-do lists across devices. The app is compatible with iOS, Android, and web and offers a basic version for free whereas its pro version is paid.
Habitica is one of the best to-do list apps for video game lovers or people who want to gamify their life. Primarily a habit-building app that you can download from both iOS and Google Play. The app helps you turn your to-do list projects and items into role-playing, medieval-themed games.
Using this app, you can upgrade your character as you move through your tasks list, make money to get armor and weapons, and win over your enemies just by checking things off your to-do list of tasks. In case you miss out on checking things off, your health gets hit and your character loses progress. The app allows you to categorize your achievements into folders like ‘Health & Fitness’, School & Work, and much more.
Here are a few top features of this app.
- Classification of tasks according to tags
- Rewards for completing tasks
- Stages for tracking progress
- Task reminders
- Inventory for the characters
- Online chats
- Task division as per the due dates
This tool might not be the correct option if you’re not a games lover and are looking for an effective task management app. You can use this tool for free.
OmniFocus is a highly customizable task management app that has been designed specifically for iOS mobile devices and Mac users. It helps you manage and track different tasks and projects and organizes all the items perfectly.
The latest version of this app is called OmniFocus 2. On the home screen, the app shows a forecast summary of your upcoming tasks with color-coded badges that help you notice the urgent tasks at-a-glance. To process all the tasks in an organized workflow manner, the tool offers customizable tags, that further track and monitor the tasks efficiently.
Let us learn some key features of this tool.
- Custom views to highlight the relevant tasks
- Personalized labels to organize projects as per context
- Batch editing for multiple items
- Notification reminders
- Project reviews to track progress over time
- Calendar integration
- Task and project control
- Customized tags for the tasks
- Dark and light mode
The tool offers a user-friendly interface and powerful GTD features. It offers paid Pro and Standard pricing models for iOS and Mac.
ToodleDo is one of the best task management apps that can help you organize simple to-do lists and has Android, iOS and web versions. Using this user-friendly tool, you can create and manage priority ratings, sub-tasks, due-dates, additional notes, and reminders. It also allows you to organize your tasks into multiple folders.
There are various other sections in the tool that you can use to create outlines, make notes, and even track your habits. It also allows you to collaborate with other users, share your lists with them, and assign tasks to others.
Let us check out the major features of this tool.
- Graphs and charts to track and monitor habits
- Private and public sharing of lists
- Recurring tasks management
- Quick notes to create ideas and putting them in relevant folders
- Filters, tasks and subtasks management
- Time tracking of tasks
- Notes within tasks for additional information
- Time management scheduler
- Android, iOS, and web compatibility
- Customized tags for organizing tasks
- Reminders based on the current location
- Third-party applications integration
The tool has all the advanced features available in paid plans only. It offers Standard, Plus, and Business versions.
Any.do is one of the best and most well-designed to-do list apps on the list. It includes all the desired features that you would ever need in any to-do list app. The app is easy-to-use and has an amazing user-friendly interface that helps users manage their to-dos.
The app consists of simple tasks and subtasks folders that help users quickly create tasks and cross them off once finished.
Here are a few major features of the app.
- Simple and easy-to-use interface
- Drag-and-drop and swipe-to-complete
- Voice entry and commands (Google Assistant, Siri)
- Push notifications to inform users about their plans
- Reminders for keeping track of tasks
- Use of shake gesture to clear finished tasks
- Customized themes for the tasks
- Tasks classification as per the timeline
- Convenient sharing of lists with other users
- Color-coding to organize and prioritize tasks
- Notes within tasks for additional information
- Recurring tasks management
- Unlimited file attachments
The app can be used on iPhone, iPad, web, and desktop with full sync capabilities. It also offers a Chrome extension which has more than 2000 reviews and a four-star rating. The free version of the app offers all the basic tasks management features.
Things is a simple and well-designed tasks management app. This app can organize and manage simple tasks and lists. With this app, you need to set the tasks corresponding deadline manually as the app is not very intuitive to due dates. It provides users with full support on Apple watches and allows them to check off their tasks using their watch.
With an easy drag and drop interface, the app allows you to rearrange your to-dos as per your priorities. You can use headings functionality to divide your tasks into different categories and effectively structure them.
Let us discuss the key features of the app.
- Checklists and tasks management
- Customized tags for the tasks to arrange them as per the categories
- Start and end dates of tasks
- Calendar view to keep a track of deadlines
- Upcoming tasks list
- Custom headings for categorized tasks
- Single tap task creation
- Reminder notifications and advanced search filters
- Pie charts for tracking progress over time
Things offers three different plans with a 15-day trial – for Mac, for iPhone & watch, and for iPad.
Microsoft To-Do is one of the most popular to-do list apps. This app is cloud-based and integrates perfectly with Office 365. It not only allows users to create tasks from scratch but also to import tasks from other tools like Outlook and Wunderlist.
The app is very useful if you need to continue with the pending tasks without having to create the entire list again. With this app, you can customize tasks in the form of a presentation using different colors and cool themes as required.
Here are the major features of the app.
- Organize and prioritize tasks
- Reminders for the upcoming tasks
- Easy access to due tasks
- Daily task lists
- Task prioritization as per the level of urgency
- Outlook tasks integration
- Data sync across devices
- To-do suggestions
- Due date tracking
- Tasks list and ideas sharing
- Customized themes and colors
The app with its simple user interface and a short learning curve offers synchronization across multiple platforms and devices. You can use this app for free.
Zenkit To Do
Zenkit To-Do is an excellent to-do-list app that helps you organize your tasks, events, meetings, notes, and much more. It helps you focus on the major tasks and lets you set reminders so that you never miss the deadline. The app allows you to collaborate with your friends, family, and colleagues and assign them the tasks as per your schedule.
Check out the major features of this excellent app.
- Smart and Starred Lists
- Offline Access
- Easy track of activities
- Due Dates & Reminders
- Multiple Themes
- Rich text formatting
- Subtasks / Checklists
- Push Notifications
- List Sorting
The app offers the basic plan for free. Other upgraded plans are charged per member per month that you can buy on a monthly or annual basis.
Task management needs to be easy and simple and to-do list apps make it a lot easier. Now that you know everything about the best to-do list apps available online, pick the one that fits your purpose best and start creating a to-do list for yourself. Manage your tasks with lesser effort and improve your management skills!
All these apps help you create a to-do list based on your daily tasks. Wouldn’t that be wonderful if you do not have to create a list at all and if it gets created itself?
Well! Here we are with an effective and responsive platform – Appy Pie Connect. This platform helps you integrate your to-do- apps with 100 other apps, all without writing a single line of code. When you connect your email or email marketing tools with to-do- apps, Appy Pie Connect automatically create task on your to-do-apps.
Let us take an example of Wunderlist synced with your Gmail Account. if you get an email saying that you need to attend a team meeting at 05:00 PM, Wunderlist app synced with your Gmail account will create this task automatically and will update your to-do list.
Appy Pie Connect allows you to connect your to-do apps, such as Google Tasks, Wunderlist, ToDoist, OmniFocus, AnyDo, and Microsoft To-Do with other popular apps available in the market. Try it once! Hopefully you will fall in love with this great feature of Appy Pie Connect. Good Luck!
- How to Create App Permission Requests No One Can Say No To? (& What to Say When They Say No?)
- How to sell on Amazon – A Step By Step Guide
- Ways to Improve Your App’s Ranking – A Complete Guide
- How to Improve Your Java Skills? [A Beginner’s Guide]
- Apple Revises The Controversial Guideline 4.2.6 Giving A Respite To Template App Owners
- How to Create a Minimalistic Poster Design [9 Tips & Tricks]
- How Mobile Apps Impact the Internet of Things (IoT)?
- 5 Great Reasons Why Augmented Reality is the Future of Mobile Apps
- How To Become A Professional iOS Developer
- Is Your Mobile App Marketing Strategy Working? Check Out These 8 KPIs To Find Out
Most Popular Posts
- 5 Quick Tips for the Xcode 11 Minimap
By Aasif Khan | December 27, 2021
- Everything You Need to Know About No-Code Development
By Abhinav Girdhar | September 5, 2020
- Best of Quora: Build Better, More Profitable Apps
By Abhinav Girdhar | January 4, 2022
- Reasons Why Mobile Apps Fail & How To Avoid Them
By Abhinav Girdhar | February 14, 2018
- How Much Does it Cost to Make an App?
By Abhinav Girdhar | November 10, 2017